Sunday, March 15, 2009

Once Upon A Time

Do you remember a time
when the world was only as big as your own personal stage

When emotions were heightened and words could form daggers
each one making their mark. The good and the bad

When life was simple.
No responsibilities, no bills, no obligations.
It was just you, and your world packaged by friends and family.

When learning happened naturally. But days were much longer.
Minutes lasted for hours and sunny days never ended.

When sarcastic judgments hurt and torn at your very soul,
Causing you to tremble and fall apart.

When your identity was a fight, with hormones and a mix of emotions you never understood.
Meanings coming to be, when the time was right.

When summer seemed to last forever and best friends were really there
….through everything.

It was a time we will always remember.
A time we wished we did more and took bigger risks.

It was a time of discovery.
A time of joy, sorrow, excitement and fear for the unexpected, the unimaginable and the amazing.
All happening at the same time.

It was a time, when we were invisible. When we could achieve anything
but did not have the confidence to know what we were truly capable of.

It was a time when things were cheaper and candy was a full course meal.

Yet, life is much more complicated than I once thought

Here now, looking back at then
I smile at the choice I made, the mistakes I suffered through, the happiness I celebrated and the pain I overcame.

Now I have the confidence to succeed as my identity continues to expand.

I would not change any of my actions.

These are the important pieces of me.

No comments: